Call the Minister of Health
April 26, 2022
Ask the Minister to stop Health Canada’s proposals to exempt some GMOs from regulation:
Demand mandatory safety assessments for all genetically engineered foods
Ottawa: 613 992 8865
You will be calling the Office of the Minister of Health, at the House of Commons in Ottawa:
- You can leave a message with a staff person or on a machine.
- Give your name and your riding or town/province.
- If you talk to a staff person, ask them to take down your message and pass it to the Minister.
- New proposals from Health Canada would exempt many new gene-edited GMOs from regulation.
- Specifically, Health Canada proposes that foods from GM plants that have no foreign DNA in them can be assessed for safety by the companies that developed them.
- The changes would mean some unregulated, unreported, genetically modified foods and seeds on the market. Click here for a quick summary of the proposals and the problems.
Tell the Minister:
- I want Health Canada to assess the safety of all genetically modified foods, even the new GM foods made by gene editing. I don’t trust companies to decide the safety of their own GM foods.
- The Minister should make sure that all genetically modified foods are regulated. I don’t want unregulated GM foods in my grocery stores.
- The government should know which GMOs are on the market.
- Stop these proposals from Health Canada. They serve corporations, not Canadians.
- The Minister needs to stand up for food safety and transparency for the public.
More information to support your phone call:
- Click here for a the summary of how the proposals will end transparency.
- Click here for a quick summary of the proposals.
- Visit www.cban.ca/NoExemptions for more background and information.
- For more support and information, or to report any response from the Office of the Minister of Health, please email Lucy Sharratt email@example.com or call 902 209 4906.
Thank you for taking this important action!