Take Action: Stop the GM Apple
2020: A small amount of pre-sliced genetically engineered (genetically modified or GM) apples has already been sold in Canada, and more could be sold after apple harvest this year, through an unnamed food service outlet. This means that GM apple slices could be served in university cafeterias, hotels and catering businesses, hospital and prison meals, restaurants, or through ready-made salads and fruit-trays in grocery stores. There is no mandatory labelling of GM foods in Canada so the GM apple slices are on the market without any labels. Click here for more information about the GM apple.
Write to the head office of your local grocery store:
- Ask if the company is using the GM apple in their prepared foods such as fruit trays: Is your grocery store cutting apples or buying bags of pre-sliced apples instead?
Ask at your favorite restaurant:
- Does the restaurant cut apples or buy pre-sliced apples for garnish or to make dishes such as apple pies?
Grocery Store Contacts
Write or call the head office, to get the response you need. Let us know what they tell you – contact us.
October 2017 – GM salmon: Check here to see if your grocery store has made a statement about the GM salmon.
- Loblaw: https://www.loblaws.ca/contact-us Loblaws owns: Atlantic Cash & Carry; Atlantic Superstore; Atlantic SuperValu; Axep; Bloor Street Market; Dominion (in Newfoundland & Labrador); Entrepôts Presto / Club Entrepôt; Extra Foods; Fortinos; Freshmart; L’intermarché; Loblaws/Loblaw Great Food; Lucky Dollar Foods; Maxi/Maxi & Cie; NG Cash & Carry; No Frills; Provigo; Provigo The Market: The Real Canadian Superstore/Loblaw Superstore; Real Canadian Wholesale Club; Red & White Food Stores; SaveEasy (formerly Atlantic SaveEasy); Shop Easy Foods: SuperValu; T&T: Valu-mart: Your Independent Grocer; Zehrs operating under the Zehrs Markets, Zehrs Food Plus and Zehrs Great
- Walmart http://www.walmart.ca/en/help/contact-us/corporate
- Sobeys – owns IGA, IGA extra, Thrifty Foods, Safeway, Foodland http://corporate.sobeys.com/contact-us/
- Metro in Ontario http://corpo.metro.ca/contactez-nous/contact-on.en.html
- Metro in Quebec http://corpo.metro.ca/contactez-nous/contact.en.html
- Save On Foods/Overwaitea/Buy-Low Foods https://www.owfg.com/contact-us
- Costco https://customerservice.costco.ca/app/answers/detail/c/10/a_id/392
- Co-op stores and The Grocery People firstname.lastname@example.org
- Longos https://thankyourewards.longos.com/customer-care/
- Check here to see which grocery chain owns your local store: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_supermarket_chains_in_Canada