Some genetically modified (GM or genetically engineered) Atlantic salmon is now being sold in Canada. This is the world’s first-ever genetically engineered food animal. The fish eggs are currently produced at a facility in Prince Edward Island and shipped to Panama where they are grown at a small factory. If GM salmon escape into the wild, they will put the future of wild Atlantic salmon populations at risk. Read more about the GE fish.
Ask the government for a full environmental assessment
The company AquaBounty is now building the world’s first full-scale commercial GM salmon factory at Rollo Bay in Prince Edward Island – but it does not yet have federal government approval to produce the GM salmon there.
Update – October 2018: Environment Canada could allow GM salmon production before the end of November. Add your voice today!
- Use the green box on the side of this page to send an instant letter to the Minister of the Environment, to demand a full environmental risk assessment of GM salmon.
Ask your restaurant
Your restaurant could be serving GM salmon. Click here for some information and tips to write your letter today.
Ask your grocery store
\Many Canadians wrote to the head office of their grocery stores to ask them to keep GM salmon off the shelves. These letters made a difference. All the major grocery chains in Canada now asy that they “have no plans” to sell the GM fish.
- Check here to see if your grocery store has rejected GM salmon.
- Contact the head office of your grocery chain if you want more information or are not satisfied with their statement: Click here for contacts.
- Share the “GM Food Alert” leaflets in your community, to let people know that some GM salmon is now on the market. Share it with your friends and neighbours, ask your local health food store to put then on the counter, or organize a local action to distribute leaflets in your community.
- Contact us for support or to let us know about your actions.